Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee Scheme
Help to Buy: mortgage guarantee
The Help to Buy: mortgage guarantee scheme can help you buy a newly built home or an existing property with a deposit of as little as 5%. This scheme is not administered via Help to Buy Agents, you must contact participating lenders directly for more information.
How it works
The scheme works by offering lenders the option to purchase a guarantee on mortgages where a borrower has a deposit of between 5% and 20%.
To qualify for the mortgage guarantee scheme, you must pass lender affordability checks and have no history of difficulties in meeting debt payments.
In order for your mortgage to be eligible for the mortgage guarantee scheme:
- it must be a residential mortgage, so you will be planning to live in your house and not rent it out;
- the property you want to buy must be in the UK and the purchase value must be £600,000 or less;
- the mortgage must be taken out on a repayment basis, rather than interest-only;
- the mortgage must be to buy your only property, so you cannot have an interest in any property, anywhere in the world; and
- the mortgage cannot be for a shared equity or shared ownership purchase.
How to apply
You can apply for a mortgage guarantee through a participating mortgage provider. The following lenders are currently participating in the scheme.
Visit the Help to Buy website for more details: